Tenancy sustainment

Tenancy sustainment

Tenancy sustainment - help for people who find it hard to keep their homes

Who are we, and what do we do?

We work with Chesterfield Borough Council tenants.

We work with people who find it hard to keep their homes.  This could be because:

  • you may have a physical or mental illness
  • you may have a disability
  • you may need support with drugs or alcohol
  • it may be your first tenancy
  • you may have a learning difficulty
  • you may have had to move away urgently because of an abusive situation
  • your accommodation may not be suitable

Tenancy sustainment officers will look at your needs and help you to: 

  • identify what is important to keep your home and understand your responsibilities as a tenant
  • live peacefully within your neighbourhood and get on with the people around you
  • manage your money; deal with debt including rent arrears, and claim benefits
  • improve your health and wellbeing
  • use local services – doctors, council offices, advice agencies
  • get support from agencies who specialise in particular needs eg mental ill health, alcohol misuse, young people, teenage parents, or people who have experienced domestic abuse

How to contact us:

  • you can refer yourself by ringing the tenancy sustainment team directly on 01246 345068 or email: tenancy.sustainment.referrals@chesterfield.gov.uk
  • we may receive a referral for you from other teams for example social services
  • we are available Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8:30am to 4.30pm

Your circumstances will be assessed, and we will decide if we can offer you help, or if another agency can help you better.  If you disagree with our decision you can contact the team leader to discuss it on 01246 345068.

If our documents are not accessible to you, you can request a different format here.
Tenancy sustainment - help for people who find it hard to keep their homes. PDF (PDF 136 KB)

Last updated on 29 April 2022