Working at the council
Nestled on the edge of the stunning Peak District, Chesterfield is a bustling borough with big ambition.
We’re a historic market town with a proud heritage – but we’re not standing still, and by working with us you will be contributing to a prosperous and thriving future for our borough.
Serving our communities
We’re here to serve and support our communities including our residents, tenants, businesses, visitors, students and voluntary groups.
Together we will continue to make our borough a great place to live, work, visit and invest.
You can find out more about our priorities, and how we work, in our Council Plan.
Our four values show how we work as a council and underpin everything we do:
- We are customer focused
- We take a can do approach
- We act as one council, one team
- We believe in honesty and respect
We expect everyone who works with us to deliver high quality and efficient services to our community and behave in a way which embodies our values.
In return, we care about our employees and offer a range of benefits to those who work with us.
Some of these are listed below. If you have any questions, please speak to your recruiting manager.
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme – immediate life insurance cover, tax free lump sum and secure career average pension
- Pre-retirement planning courses
Flexible working and annual / special leave
We have a range of options and policies to help you balance working and home life, including:
- Flexible working options – flexitime scheme, annualised hours, compressed hours, job share, reduced hours
- Paid sick leave from the first year of employment
- Generous holiday allowances
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave, which is above the legal minimum.
- A range of paid leave options to help you manage difficult periods in life (including bereavement and compassionate leave)
- Leave for certain public duties, including being a school governor
- Career break scheme – up to one year’s unpaid leave.
- Home working options
- Trade Union recognition – UNISON, UNITE and GMB
- Leave and facilities for Trade Union representatives
Health and wellbeing support
- Access to health and wellbeing services including free eye test vouchers, health surveillance, counselling, physiotherapy and vaccinations
- An in-house team of Mental Health First Aiders
Learning and development
- A range of internal and external opportunities to support your career progression
- Paid study leave – including day release, course and exam fees and travel
- Payment of professional fees
Discounts and vouchers
- Childcare vouchers
- Discounted car park pass for Chesterfield town centre
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted leisure membership at council leisure centres
- Travel discount scheme – 10% on Stagecoach fares