Please note: This consultation has now closed. Thank you to everyone who had their say.
Chesterfield Market is the heart of our town centre, and we’re committed to making sure it remains a vibrant and modern shopping experience.
We’ve drawn up ambitious plans to revitalise the market, to create an open-air shopping experience with new event space, seating, and landscaping.
The initial proposals were created following early consultation with traders, local businesses and residents who told us how they would like Chesterfield Market to look and feel in the future.
We asked even more people to have their say on our Revitalising the Heart of Chesterfield Vision Master Plan as part of a public consultation which ran from 2 August to 12 September 2021.
To encourage as many people as possible to take part in the consultation, all respondents will be entered into a prize draw to win £50 worth of Love2Shop vouchers (see terms and conditions).
What changes are proposed?
Key proposals include:
- the re-siting of market stalls currently located in New Square and on Low Pavement into a single market ground of 100 stalls in Market Square – creating a more defined and vibrant market area; the area will also include a flexible events space
- the re-modelling of New Square as a flexible events space – able to hold large-scale events, and accommodate temporary installations and active edges linked to local bars and restaurants
- upgrades to the paving to improve the quality while also making it more accessible for people dependent on wheelchairs, pushchairs, or mobility aids
- the introduction of new seating areas and attractive landscaping to create spaces where people want to sit and chat whilst taking in what the town has to offer
- the planting of more trees to increase biodiversity and improve the street scene
- brighter, more vibrant stall coverings and flexible stalls supplied with water, better lighting and digital connectivity
The proposals have also been developed with due regard for the Conservation Area including giving greater prominence to the Market Hall and the town pump, which is currently obscured, by opening-up the public space in these areas.
Artists impression of what Chesterfield market could look like
Take part in the consultation
The consultation is now closed. Thank you to everyone who put forward their views - your feedback will be used to shape the proposals.