Make a claim

Claim Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate.

The easiest way to claim is online - this means you don't have to apply in person or send anything through the post.

If you are of working age you will probably need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent. Find out about Universal Credit here.

Please have information ready before starting your claim. We will need to know about:

  • your income - including earnings and benefits
  • your savings and investments - including any property you own
  • the property you live in and how much rent you pay (if you are not a council tenant)
  • the people that live with you - including their dates of birth and income details

You will also need your National Insurance Number.

Our online claim form could take you around an hour to fill in, but you can save it along the way and finish it later.

You can claim online through your My Chesterfield account, so that you can track your application and manage your benefit account if your claim is successful.  

If you don't want to sign-up for a my Chesterfield account you can:


Claim online here


Protecting your privacy - find out how we keep your information safe.

Discretionary Housing Payments - you can now claim online, find out more here.

Need any help?

We can help you make your claim, and can answer your questions.

Call us on 01246 345484 or 01246 345507 and we will be happy to help.

If you can't claim online

The fastest and easiest way to apply is using our online claim form. If you can't apply online you can download and print the relevant paper claim form below. You will need to return it by post to:

Chesterfield Borough Council, Benefits Section, Customer Service Centre, Town Hall, Chesterfield, S40 1LP.

If our documents are not accessible to you, you can request a different format here.
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form PDF (PDF 854 KB)
Council Tax Support claim form PDF (PDF 445 KB)

Last updated on 04/01/2024