Coronavirus (COVID-19) roadmap - Find out how it is affecting our services.

Clinical waste and sharps collections

Clinical waste and sharps collections

Ask your community healthcare worker (such as a district nurse or GP) how to dispose of your clinical waste.

They will complete a risk assessment, based on the type of waste being disposed of, and we will then decide if a special clinical waste collection is needed.

You don't need to contact us to arrange a clinical waste collection, your healthcare worker will do it for you.

There is no charge for clinical waste collections from domestic properties, but we do charge for making collection from residential care homes.

Sharps box collections

If you have 'sharps' waste, such as syringes, hypodermic needles, or finger-stick devices (for testing blood sugar levels etc) your healthcare worker will give you a yellow 'sharps' box that you put them into and keep at home.

When the box is full you should return it and exchange it for an empty one - your healthcare worker will let you know where to take it. Where this is not possible, contact your healthcare worker for advice on what to do.

If you have a problem or query with your clinical waste collection, please contact us.

Discarded needles

Our streetscene team will collect and dispose of needles found in public places, find out more here.

Last updated on 09 June 2021