Claim your Energy Rebate online – if you need help with the online form call our team on 01246 345013.

Energy Rebate Payments

Energy Rebate Payments

The Government is providing a £150 one-off energy payment for eligible households in Council Tax bands A to D.

This aims to reduce the burden on households created by rapidly rising energy prices over the last year.

If you pay Council Tax by Direct Debit, we have processed your energy rebate payment and it should appear in your bank account before Friday 3 June.

If you do not pay by Direct Debit, you will need to complete an online form. In this form you can provide your bank details and we will process your energy rebate within four weeks or you can request an alternative payment that can be redeemed at a bank or post office but we will not be able to issue payments in this format until July.

The information below sets out what will happen next and help answer any questions you may have.


Who is eligible to receive the £150 payment?

If you were liable to pay Council Tax on a property in Council Tax Bands A – D on 1 April 2022 and it is your main home, you will receive a £150 energy rebate payment from the Government. 

If you were exempt from paying Council Tax on a property in Council Tax Bands A-D on 1 April 2022 because

  • you are a student (class N),
  • you are under 18 (class S),
  • you have a severe mental impairment (class U) or
  • you have an annex occupied by a dependent relative (class W)

You will also be eligible to receive the energy rebate payment.

This does not need to be repaid.


I pay my Council Tax by Direct Debit and I have already made a Council Tax payment to you.

If you have already paid your April or May council tax instalment by Direct Debit, you will receive your £150 energy rebate payment by Friday 3 June. 

The payment will be made directly into the bank account that your direct debit is paid from. 

If, in the unlikely event that your £150 energy rebate payment has not reached your bank account by Friday 3 June 2022, please email to enable us to investigate the problem.

Please do not contact us prior to this date.


I have set up a Direct Debit but have not yet made a payment on my Council Tax.

The government has asked us to complete extra security checks before the £150 energy rebate payment is sent to your bank. This will prevent fraud and ensure that the rebate is being paid to the right person.

We  will ask you for some information through our online form which will enable the security checks to be completed. Once we have done this, we will make the energy rebate payment to you. 

 We aim to have made your energy rebate payment within four weeks of completion of the security checks. 


I do not pay my Council Tax by Direct Debit

We need you to provide extra information online which will enable us to make the energy payment direct to your bank account.

You can provide this extra information using our online form.

We have sent letters directly to you explaining this process. If you complete the online form we expect to process your payment within four weeks.

In the unlikely event that you have not received a letter or an email from us by Wednesday 8 June 2022, please email to let us know. Please do not contact us prior to this date.


I want to receive a cash payment

We are unable to directly issue cash payments. You will receive the energy rebate quicker if you are able to provide us with your bank details.

If you are not able to receive the rebate direct into your bank account, you can request an alternative payment through the online form and you will be provided with a voucher which can be cashed at a bank or post office. However, you will not receive this until July 2022.

Please email if you would like to receive this service. 


I need help to complete the online information.

If you need help to complete the information online. You can call our dedicated application line on 01246 345013 from 9.30am on Monday 30 May 2022, opening hours for this line are 9.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday but will be closed on the Bank Holidays. 

You can also get help at our Customer Service Centre in Chesterfield town Centre from 10am to 2pm each day. Or at the Healthy Living Centre in Staveley from 6 June 2022 to 10 June 2022 between 2.30pm and 6 pm.

Please bring the letter (and relevant supporting information) telling you what to do when you visit us.


I am not eligible for the energy rebate payment but need some extra support with my energy bills

The Council is implementing a discretionary energy rebate scheme.  

Residents who are eligible to receive the £150 energy rebate payment and who are in receipt of Council Tax Support, will receive an additional £20 energy rebate payment.

Residents who receive Council Tax Support and who were eligible to pay Council Tax on properties in Bands E to H on 1 April 2022 will receive an energy rebate payment of £170.

Residents who were exempt from paying Council Tax (for reason code N, S, U and W) on properties in Bands E to H on 1 April 2022 will receive an energy rebate payment of £150.

You will not need to make an application for the discretionary payment.  We will write to you if we need more information from you.


Someone else like a family member or carer pays my council tax for me

Unfortunately, the council are unable to pay the energy rebate directly to a bank account where the details are different to the council taxpayer’s account information. 

You will receive a letter from the council inviting you to apply for the energy rebate through our online application form where you will be able to select a payment into your bank account or choose the voucher option.


Will the energy rebate impact the tax I pay or the benefits I receive?

No, the energy rebate will not be included as part of a self-assessment tax return and it will not factor in to the calculation for any benefits or tax credits that you receive.


What if I am overdrawn and do not want the payment to be used to pay off my overdraft – what do I do?

You can exercise what is known as a ‘first right of appropriation’ on the £150 payment, so that your bank doesn’t use it to pay off your overdraft. A sample letter that you may wish to use to exercise your right of appropriation is available via National Debtline - Sample letters - Ask your bank to pay particular bills out of your account.


Further frequently asked questions are available to view on the Government’s website.

Last updated on 28 June 2022