Food business approval

Some food businesses need to get approval from us or the Food Standards Agency before they can operate. 

If your food business manufactures, processes or handles meat, dairy, egg, fish, shellfish or animal produce, for supply to other businesses, you need to apply for food business approval. 

The Food Standards Agency website gives full details of the types food business that need to apply for food business approval. If you only supply food direct to the public you should apply for food business registration instead. 

How to apply

Please contact the food safety team if you want to apply for food business approval. We will provide advice to guide you through the application process. It is free to apply, and if you are approved, you don’t also need to apply for food business registration.

If your business is a slaughterhouse, meat cutting plant, game handling establishment or wholesale meat market, you need to apply for approval from the Food Standards Agency - this is because these types of establishment are subject to veterinary control.

You may also be interested in:

We deal with food business approval under Regulation (EC) No 853/2004.

Last updated on 29 June 2022