Carers and care workers

Some live-in carers are not counted when we work out how many adults are living in your home.

There are two types of live-in carer that can be disregarded:

Care workers providing care on behalf of a local authority, a charity or the Crown

They must:

  • provide care for at least 24 hours per week
  • earn no more than £44 per week

Carers providing care to someone who is entitled to certain state benefits

To be disregarded they must:

  • provide care for on average 35 hours a week or more
  • not be the partner of the person they care for
  • not be the parent of the person they care for (if the person they care for is under 18 years old)

The person they are caring for must be entitled to one or more of the following qualifying benefits:

  • an attendance allowance
  • the highest or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
  • an increase in the rate of a disablement pension
  • an increase in a constant attendance allowance
  • the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of personal independence payment

Contact us if you need any information or advice.

You may also be interested in:

Last updated on 18 November 2022