Station Master Plan
Station Master Plan consultation
Ambitious plans to transform the area between the town centre and Chesterfield Train Station are set out in the Chesterfield Rail Station Master Plan. The finalised master plan was prepared following stakeholder engagement and public consultation and was adopted by Chesterfield Borough Council on 20 July 2021.
The master plan has been put together by Chesterfield Borough Council, working with AECOM and Whittam Cox Architects:
Here's the report summarising the responses received by the council during consultation:
The plan sets out a vision to create a vibrant gateway to North Derbyshire, identifies potential development sites which could create around 850 new jobs and includes improvements in the public realm, pedestrian, cycling and public transport routes.
The proposals are also designed to make the most of the once-in-a-generation plans for a High Speed Rail (HS2) link at Chesterfield – but can progress ahead (or independently) of the national project.
Key elements of the Station Master Plan include:
- Establishing the principle of new development plots to accommodate a mix of uses with the potential to generate a minimum of approximately 850 jobs
- A new station link road (a through route) between Brimington Road and Hollis Lane with improved public transport access
- Closure of the A61 on-slip road
- A new public ‘boulevard’ for pedestrians and cyclists (including segregated cycle lanes) leading from the station to Corporation Street
- Replacement of the existing A61 footbridge between the station area and Corporation Street with a new wider bridge, including a segregated cycle route
- Suggested changes to Corporation Street to improve accessibility for pedestrians and cyclists whilst retaining vehicle access to businesses
- A multi-storey car park (with around 550 bays) and charging points for electric vehicles
- A cycle hub with e-bike hire and secure cycle parking
- An overall layout that has the potential for a higher quality of natural habitats including more tree planting
- A new station forecourt to better accommodate buses, coaches, taxis, and a drop off/collection point
- A continuous cycle link from Hollis Lane area through to Crow Lane
Funding for regeneration at and around the station and the preparation of a masterplan has been obtained by Chesterfield Borough Council and Derbyshire County Council through both the Sheffield City Region (SCR) and East Midlands (D2N2) Local Enterprise Partnerships.