Appointments to outside bodies

Appointments to outside bodies

In May each year, members are appointed by the council to serve on a range of outside bodies.

These include voluntary organisations, local government associations and companies. View the list of appointments to outside bodies 

In some cases, the persons appointed will be council representatives, ie, they will be expected to represent the council’s views at meetings, and look after the council’s interests. 

On other bodies, members will be nominees, ie, their main responsibility will be to the organisation to which they have been appointed. In some cases, there will be a link between the activities of the organisation and those of the council. In such cases, the member’s knowledge of council affairs will be useful, but the affairs of the outside body must take priority when the member is acting as a member of that body.

In all cases

Members should:

  • adhere to the rules, constitution and framework set by the outside body
  • report back, where appropriate, to the council or relevant committee
  • behave ethically and follow, as far as applicable, the Model Code of Conduct
  • take an active and informed role in the management of the outside body’s affairs

Members should not:

  • represent the political party to which members owe their political loyalty
  • be there in name only and merely turn up to meetings

The appointment list splits outside organisations into three categories:

  • those where appointees are regarded as council representatives
  • those that have links with council activities but where the appointees are nominees
  • those where the council is merely asked to appoint a nominee and has no further contact with the organisation

The council is currently working more and more through outside organisations – with 'partners'. Such partnerships can either be companies (charitable or non-charitable) or unincorporated associations.


Companies are regulated by the Companies Acts and by their own constitutional documents (ie, the articles and memorandum of association). A director of a company must act in the best interests of the company and must use reasonable care and skill.


The managers of a charity are called 'the trustees'. The charity will be regulated by its constitutional documents (ie the trust deed). A trustee must act in the best interests of the charity and must use reasonable care and skill.

Unincorporated associations  - such as a management committee, residents association

Groups that are neither companies nor charities fall within this category. The rules for the group will be set out in a constitution, which normally provides for the appointment of a management committee. The members of the management committee are responsible for the acts of the group.

Model Code of Conduct

Appointees on outside bodies are generally governed by the council’s adopted members' code of conduct.

For further information, please contact or telephone 01246 345238.

Last updated on 29 April 2021